The annual migration of over 2 million animals in the Serengeti ecosystem is one of the most famous and well documented natural wonders of the world.
The unique combination of both Serengeti Pioneer Camp and the award-winning Serengeti Migration Camp, the latter on the Grumeti river in the north of the National Park, guarantees exemplary and unfettered access to the Serengeti’s annual migration, and in turn exceptional game viewing all year round.
As can be seen from the ‘The Migration Map’, over 90% of the Serengeti National Park can be covered from either of our two camps. In addition the ability to share knowledge between both our Camps allows for direct and speedy access to the Migration, thereby increasing the game-viewing opportunities and game-viewing time.
The Monthly Migratory Patterns:
Due to varying weather conditions and other such factors, the Migration can differ in its location at any time of the year. However a general prediction for the Migratory pattern month-by-month can be summarised as follows:
- In January herds of the wildebeest are to be found in the southern Serengetion on the short-grass plains.
- In February the Migration has spread out across the short-grass plains of the southern Serengeti.
- In March the Migration is now spread across southern Serengeti, Loliondo and Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- In April the migrating herds start moving north through the areas of the Moru Kopjes and Seronera.
- In May the Migration heads north through Seronera towards the Western Corridor.
- In June the Migration collects in the area of the western corridor before crossing the Grumeti River.
- In July the Migration continues to cross the Grumeti and across the Grumeti Reserve.
- In August the Migration continues up into the far north-west of the Serengeti National Park.
- In September wildebeest herds in the north of Serengeti National Park and in the Maasai Mara.
- In October wildebeest grazing in the far north of the Serengeti - and across in the Mara.
- In November the Migration starts its first trek south through Loliondo and via the eastern extremities of the Serengeti National Park.
- In December the Migration arrives at the short-grass plains, in time for the rains.